Lufbery Aerodrome is where we fly
- Located in the southern-most section of Cedar Creek Park, our Aerodrome provides us with a great facility to pursue Radio Control flying of model airplanes, helicopters and quad racers. Also within the park is a tether car track.
- Cedar Creek Park is located at: 3340 Merrick Rd, Seaford, NY 11783. Take Wantagh Parkway heading South, then get off at exit 6 East – Merrick Road. The entrance is just a few blocks east of the Parkway.
- We have two intersecting paved runways which allow us to fly at all times regardless of wind direction.
- In 2010 our field was renamed “Lufbery Aerodrome” in honor of Major Raoul Lufbery who by the end of World War I was a leading ace with 17 official kills. Major Lufbery was killed in action in France in 1918.
- UPDATE -August 2021: Lufbery Aerodrome has been recognized as an historic site by the Town Of Hempstead, New York! A ceremony took place on August 14 at 10:30 AM, during which Nassau County officials unveiled the sign designating our field as an historic site.
In order to fly at Lufbery Aerodrome you will need:
– A current AMA membership card which can be obtained from the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) at a current annual cost of $75. AMA memberships for flyers under 18 ARE FREE!
– An Aerodrome permit from the Park Office. Nassau County residents pay $20 and non-residents pay $40 per year.
We welcome everyone who wants to learn how to fly. We have experienced instructors on hand who will be happy to teach you the fundamentals of RC flying until you are approved to fly solo.
Field Rules: Click HERE to download a copy of our Field Rules.
Here is a nice write up on Newsday, our local newspaper on Long Island NY.